Saturday, May 17, 2014

Benvenuti Tour

May 16

Today was the Benvenuti Tour you could go on to see what the Italian culture is like around the Aviano area. The first stop we had was to visit the Gorgazzo spring in Polcenigo. This spring is where you can go scuba diving, but I would be a little scared to try because it seems like a small cave you can go down in. The spring was gorgeous though!! I would definitely come back and go to the restaurant right next to this spot, it is so relaxing.
While walking back to the bus, off to the right there is a family owned small honey farm.
Then also a really pretty view!
Next stop, Porcia Market and Castello di Porcia (winery)! Preston and I first stopped at the winery since it was right next to where the bus dropped us off. This winery is 300 years old! It had that old charm to it still, which was really cool! This winery we didn't buy any wine but we probably will be back! ;)
Now to the market. Every day of the week one of the towns around Aviano has a market. (Avianos is on Tuesday's) This was our first time going to a market while being here, we had no idea what to expect.
The market had almost anything you could think of from everyday clothing, suits, belts, balloons, toys, fruits, vegetables, fruits, fish and even lingerie. Yes, all types of lingerie was hanging up at some peoples sections, Preston and I thought it was funny and different to see people selling this at the market.
Yes, that's a minion from Despicable Me. Their everywhere!!

Before we got back on the bus we stopped at a Gelatoria and got this pastry. Not really sure the name but it had their type of creme in it, which was really good. 


Next, we got back on the bus and drove around to see the Pordenone Hospital (doctors on base can send you over to this hospital for specific reasons). Then the bus dropped us off in Pordenone Square where we could get coffee, cappuccino, wine, sandwich or pastries. It was a really cute bar called Bar Posta (here a bar is not the same as back home, its more of a relaxed sit down place to enjoy a cappuccino or coffee). Preston and I got a donut. But this was no donut we've ever had, the inside was filled with chocolate all around the ring of the donut. Another thing we really like about all the pastries we keep trying is that they don't have that same gross full feeling you get after eating sweets, which we think is really nice :)


Then to start the walking part of our tour. 

First, we walked to Pordenone Historical Center to start our main walking tour.  On the way to our first stop we got to see Pordenone's City Hall.


We headed down to St. Mark's Cathedral. We were going to go inside but unfortunately there was a funeral going on. So onto our next stop which I was really looking forward to...Chocolate tasting!! We got to go to two different shops/restaurants and also where they make the chocolate and chocolate art. The chocolate at all three places were soo good!! I'm definitely going back to buy some! I would of bought some but didn't want it to melt throughout the rest of the day.























Now to go to the meeting point, in case anybody got lost while walking through Pordenone. The view down the streets while in Piazza Cavour were amazing! I will never get over how amazing the views are from almost everywhere are, especially with the mountains in the background.
Next stop, train station!

We got to learn how to purchase a train ticket in Italian at the station. You can actually buy from three different spots inside. Go to the main counter, the self-service machine or the newspaper stand right next to it. Preston and I went to the newspaper stand to buy ours. We were headed to Sacile.


Now to wait for the train to come!
Our first train ride!
After we got off the train the bus came to pick us up and take us to Ristorante "Cial De Brent" in Polcenigo for lunch. We had a five course meal ahead of us. When I was told that I was like I don't know how I'm going to eat everything! But another nice thing about Italian food is it doesn't have the same effect on your stomach as American food does. I actually didn't feel that full even after eating everything in front of me, plus multiple glasses of wine :)

First course, Risotto and bread.

Second, pasta.

Third, the main dish. You could choose chicken or salmon, Preston choose chicken and I choose salmon.

Fourth, dessert. You could also order Sgroppino with the cake, which is basically lemon ice cream with vodka (really good!)

Fifth, coffee, cappuccino or coffee type of drink. Since it was included in the meal both Preston and I thought we would try one. He got the cappuccino and I got a macchiato. Oh boy, do I not like coffee, my face was really funny to watch after I took a sip of both. Maybe one day I will like coffee.

I would definitely come back to this place for a nice meal! Very, very good food!! Now onto the winery!! The winery we were going to was Podere Gelisi Antonio winery in Villotte di San Quirino. This winery is family owned. When we first got there the daughter told us about their winery and also some interesting facts about making wine that I didn't know about. One was, that they plant roses at the end of the rows of grape vines to see what the leaves of the roses look like because they are more sensitive than the grape vine leaves and most likely if the roses leaves show something then it is most likely happening to the grape vines too.

We also got to see where they take the grapes to be pressed. And then took us inside and we got to see the huge fermenting tanks they put the "juice" in. Also while inside we got to taste some of their wine.  This is the place that makes the red wine that I will actually like and drink. So of course after trying all different types of their wine Preston and I ended up buying four bottles. Two different whites and two of the same red. If you like this brand of wine, definitely go to the vineyard and buy the wine there. It is a lot cheaper than buying it on base.

After visiting the winery the bus drove us back to base. I would definitely say this is worth it to go on when your first come here. There are some interesting things you will learn and see while on this tour.

Our day wasn't over yet. Even after all these activities Preston and I had one more house we wanted to go see. The house we went to was one floor with a garage, 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bathrooms. It had a pretty big kitchen and a big family/living room. The landlord was renovating everything still when we saw it  but he showed us what he's going to do and it looks really nice! Also there is a good sized fenced in yard around the house. The only thing we didn't like is that it didn't have the mountain view we are really hoping to get. If it did I think we would of been sold immediately on this place and not have to decide between our top 3. At least was our last house we wanted to look at, now time to choose which one of our top 3 we want to get! (The hard part)




2 comments:

  1. Ashley, I must admit I check every day to see if you have posted anything to your blog - I love reading what you have been doing. In just a week or so, you have done more then some people do in a life time - oh wait that's me I'm talking about!!
    I can't wait to hear which apartment you decide in - and then for you to send a picture of what will be my room - hee hee!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Soon you can come and go to all of the cool and amazing places with me!
      I can't wait till we finally decide on a place too!!

      Delete