Saturday, October 24, 2015

Wyvern Mud Run

Saturday, October 17

CE decided to host the first ever Wyvern Mud Run on base. I was so excited when I heard and saw the flyer for this event, I knew I had to sign up! I had wanted to sign up for the Tough Mudder in Germany but ended up not being able to go, so I'm glad I had the opportunity to do one. The Mud Run consisted of approximately 6.5 miles of running with different obstacles along the way. I was very interested in how they were going to set this up throughout the base.

You could either sign up as an individual or with a team of 4. I was a part of a team, it was Preston, our crossfit coach Tiffany and her husband, Wes, on our team.

Of course the day of I was a little nervous and excited since I had never done anything like this before. I'm glad though I got to do it with friends, that makes it so much better.

When we got there we had to sign in and get our bib numbers and since we signed up early enough, we also all got a towel.




We were in the last group of people to go. First were the squadrons who were competing, then the individuals and then us, the groups. To start the race you had to run through a huge sectioned off pool of mud. If you didn't have your shoes tied super tight, you definitely were going to lose them. Which happened to multiple people and it was really funny to watch them try and find their shoes while basically being trampled over by the rest of the people running by.

After we started the first obstacle was a large board and rope you had to climb up then jump down. At first I was a little disappointed because you had to run a ways to even get to the first obstacle. But after the first two obstacles there were more back-to-back you had to go through or over.

There were so many obstacles you had to go through, some of there obstacles were climbing up huge wood boards, running through tires, crawling in the mud under barbed wire while being hose with a fire truck, team-working your way over a 15 ft cement wall, running through wires with electricity running through them, monkey bars (so hard, as it was at the end after being covered in mud and soaked with water), and tire flips.

There was a section of the course where they told you to remember a certain set of numbers and letters depending on the last number on your bib. But they did not tell you for what or when you would need them again. Plus, if you weren't paying attention to a random sign in between 2 courses you would have missed it.

I was so excited when I knew the finish line was coming up, but to stop that momentum, we got stopped and asked what our number and letters were that coincided with the last number on our bib. Of course I thought I remembered mine but then when it was my turn to say mine I realized I had one too many numbers. But thankfully I chose the right number. Preston though, unfortunately was the only one who got a number wrong and had to do burpees as the penalty.

After that it was a race to the finish line. Again, before fully finishing the race you had to run back through the huge pool of mud.

We made it!!

I might look a little goofy, but I was happy one of Tiffany's friends took these pictures at the finish line :)


























So happy there was food and drinks after the race because I was starving! Since it was the first event and still learning the ropes, there was only hot dogs, chips and water or soda. But at least there was something.

All-in-all I would say the race was a success! We all finished and nobody got hurt! I would love to do another one of these types of races in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, looks like you had a lot fun, but what a mess!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love running in the rain and having the chance to jump in a big puddle, that looked like alot of fun!

    ReplyDelete