Thursday, October 29, 2015

Pumpkin Festival in Cordenons

Sunday, October 25

Every year around Halloween there are many pumpkin or holiday related festivals around where I live in Northern Italy. This year I decided I wanted to go to one since I was not able to go last year. I saw that Cordenons was having one a weekend I didn't have anything going on so I asked my friend Mary if she would come explore the festival with me, she said she would.

Festivals here are different than what you think of in the states where there are different scary looking carnival rides and games to play. Here it is more of different booths selling different food items, toys, crafts or fresh food and drinks. Plus they close down a lot of the streets in town just to set up for these events, which sometimes makes it very hard to get anywhere.

Of course when we walked through the starting section of the festival we saw a cart who was selling different drinks. We had to try the pumpkin beer, which actually turned out to not be as bad as I was thinking it would be. You can't go to a pumpkin festival and not try the pumpkin beer ;)

(Cheers!)
Once we had our beers we were set to explore the rest of the festival.

We had also come to try and find some pumpkins, since Halloween was just a few days away. Unfortunately we did not find any that we liked or felt like carrying back to the car.

There was however a lot of really delicious looking foods! We did sample some of the stuff, like different breads and olive oils, as you would expect. We also got to taste some of the vendors local honey. I'm obsessed with honey! I have tried so many different kinds of honey from our travels and no one has tasted the same, but they all have been delicious!

After walking around and seeing all the different things this pumpkin festival had to offer, we decided to start heading back to the car. These festivals end up being a lot bigger than you would expect. They take over at least a dozen or more different streets in town. On the way back we got offered a bag full of fresh apples. Which you would think would be a little weird, but all the other Italians that walked by were accepting them as well. That is another nice thing about being over here, usually they are not trying to scam you in buying something you don't want.

I would love to go to more festivals, since there are different ones to go to almost every weekend. Definitely a good way to interact and learn more about the Italian culture. 

No comments:

Post a Comment