Sunday, January 10, 2016

Italian Cooking class with Teresa Colors

Friday, December 18

Since I knew my family was coming to visit me, I thought I should do something special and unique, that they have never done before. And what did I come up with...an Italian Cooking class with Teresa Colors! I have done her events, cooking classes and even her take home meals before and they are always so much fun and delicious! For the cooking classes you can choose what you want to learn how to make. First I thought of doing pumpkin gnocchi because gnocchi is Preston's favorite and I love pumpkin things. But I'm was so glad when I saw Teresa learned how to do spinach gnocchi with butter and sage because that sounded so good to me I had to see if we could make that instead when she comes. I'm so happy she said that was fine.

The only day we could fit this cooking class in was the day my sister and brother-in-law came, as we going to be heading on our Italian adventure the next morning. So I was hoping they wouldn't be too tired to do this.

When my family arrived Preston and I told them we had a surprise for them. I made a certificate that said we are treating you guys to an at home Italian cooking class. At first they sounded excited but they didn't realize it was with an Italian lady coming to our house to teach us. They thought it was Preston and I teaching the class at first. When we told them no, not us, it's with Teresa Colors an Italian lady who comes to your house to teach you how to make different Italian dishes they got super excited and happy and could not wait until she came! They thought this was the coolest surprise ever!

Teresa brings everything you need for the class, all the different utensils, bowls and cooking ingredients to your house, so you don't have to worry about that. Which makes it even better!

Once she arrived, we were put to work right away peeling all the potatoes needed to make the gnocchi.

After that, we had to let them boil a little before using the potato ricer and rolling the potatoes into a huge ball. Also, while they were boiling we had to cook the spinach that was going to be mixed in with the potatoes.

Trying to roll the ball in to the perfect form and shape is a lot harder than you think, way sticker and harder to form how you want. You have to keep adding more and more flour to help it become the right texture, but you don't want to add too much flour and make them taste funky. But once it was the perfect texture, we cut small pieces off the ball and rolled it out to make it like a skinny snake. Next, you cut off small pieces of the potatoes, however big you want your gnocchi to be.

(Ricing the potatoes)
(Adding the spinach to the potatoes)







Once you have cut them into the right size pieces place them in a frying pan to fully cook. 




Meanwhile, Teresa was telling us all the ingredients and spices she mixes together for the butter and sage sauce. This was the easier part.

Lastly, once all the gnocchi was fully cooked and the butter and sage sauce completed, we got to mixed it together and enjoy a huge bowl of it! We had made so much!! But it was super delicious! I will definitely try and make this again.



I'm so glad my family was here to experience this with me. This was just the start to our crazy and fun "Danner" family Italian adventure :)

2 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful and delicious surprise!!! What a unique and great idea as a gift for the family. Ashley you have such a look of concentration as you are rolling out your gnocchi - he he!!! And meeting Teresa was an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching, and taking pictures and movies and when it was ready I really enjoyed eating it.! It was so much fun and tasty!!

    ReplyDelete