Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Vicenza Run to Honor 5K

Friday, May 20

Since I have been traveling down to Vicenza for quite some time now, I thought it would be fun to try one of their bases Fun Run's. This one was called Run to Honor 5K, to honor those who have served and died. I thought it would be cool to see how different their base events are.

At most of the Aviano base events, unfortunately there is not always the best turn-out for some 5K runs; but in Vicenza there were about 100 people who showed up for the events, and it started at 0630! Plus they said this was an even smaller turn-out than last year. I wish our base events would have this many people show up, that would make them even more fun.

Before the race started, two families spoke about their loved ones and how loved they were. It was very sad to hear their families stories about the ones who are no longer with us. One was actually from Aviano but always came down to Vicenza for work and fun.

After hearing these stories, they gave us a little more information about the race, then we were off!


(Short story) Literally a small world, a few weeks ago I ran into someone I used to swim with back on my club team and also in high school. Apparently he got stationed in Vicenza and neither of us knew or had seen each other in years. Well, during this run, out of everyone in the race, I somehow ended up running behind him for most of the race. Small world!

It was nice catching up with him and seeing how he was enjoying living overseas and being in the military. Both of us are definitely taking advantage of all the places we can travel to so easily and for cheap while being over here.


I'm so glad I was able to do this race at a different base and see how different their base events are.

1 comment:

  1. Truly a small world that you were able to talk to Craig.
    What an inspiration way to start a work day!

    ReplyDelete